Vegetarian



My New Year's Resolution for 2020 was to maintain a vegetarian diet. It is now the middle of November and I have held true to my goal! Whenever someone finds out that I no longer eat meat, they immediately ask me why. The truth is, there are so many reasons to stop eating meat. These reasons can vary anywhere from health to economic. Personally, I decided to go vegetarian for moral and environmental reasons. There are many documentaries I have seen outlining major reasons to go vegan. Viewing them helped me learn about the living conditions and the way these animals are treated before they are slaughtered. I decided I could no longer morally support this industry. I am a relatively big animal lover and I feel as if I can't say that if I'm voluntarily eating them. In regards to environmental reasons, animal agriculture has the biggest impact on our environment. I've learned that it takes 60 tons of water to make ONE hamburger. I've also learned that if all of the crops with food for the animals to eat were turned into crops of food that humans can eat, there would be enough food to feed every single person in the world. There is simply not enough space on our planet to keep up with the amount of meat this world consumes daily. When I'm asked questions, I like to educate other people on why it's important to limit meat consumption. However, I would never force this lifestyle on someone else.

Photo credit https://www.muralsyourway.com/p/fruit-and-vegetable-rainbow-wall-mural-34244125/?sku=RL34244125

Vocabulary Words:

Maintain= keep at the same level or rate

Vegetarian= a person that does not eat meat

Immediately= at once; instantly

Vary= differ in size, amount, degree, or nature from something else in the same general class

Moral= concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior

Veganeating, using or containing no food or other products derived from animals.


Vocabulary Exercise:

1. Which vocabulary word is synonymous with "instantly?"

2. Use "maintain" in a sentence.

3. Which vocabulary word refers to a person that does not eat any meat?

4. Which vocabulary word refers to a person that does not eat OR any animal products?

5. Fill in the blank. The employees all ____________ in height so they thought it would be fun to stand in order of shortest to largest.

6. What is the definition of moral? What is a moral that you hold?


Grammar Point:

Singular and plural nouns are used in the paragraph above. A singular noun is when there is only one. Plural nouns indicate there is more than one. Singular nouns are normally made plural when there is an 's' added to the end of the noun. For example, the singular noun "cup" becomes plural when an 's' is added to the end, making the plural noun "cups." However, there are many different rules regarding pluralization depending on what letter a noun ends in. You can read more about singular and plural nouns at https://www.grammarly.com/blog/plural-nouns/. 

Grammar Exercise:

1. Find one singular and one plural noun in the paragraph above.

2. Fill in the sentences below with the correct version of the noun dog/dogs.
    
    My ________________ is so smart. He knows many tricks.

     The _____________________ love to run around and play together.

3. Think of a noun. What is the plural version of the noun? Check the Grammarly website linked above to review the rules of pluralizing nouns.






Comments

  1. I was interested in reading about your commitment to being a vegetarian. I don't eat meat for about half the year in conjunction with Orthodox Christian fasting-- every Wed. & Fri., 40 days before Christmas, 47 days before Easter, 4 weeks or so in early summer and 2 weeks at the end of August. Actually, the fasting rules are mostly vegan, but I can't take the acidic nature of a true vegan diet, so I relax it.
    Good grammar and vocabulary sections!.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts