Working With Children


After college, I got my first full-time job in an office working for a construction company. However, I quickly learned that I didn't like working in an office. I felt like I was glued to my desk for the entire day. This is what helped motivate me to pursue my master's degree in teaching. I've always wanted to be a teacher...even as a little girl.  Even though I did not decide to get my bachelor's degree in teaching, I decided that it's never too late to follow your dreams. So almost two years ago I impulsively applied to Molloy, got accepted, and started classes all within a few days. I've been simultaneously taking classes and working full-time since then. It has been stressful, but I know that I love to work with children. My most recent step towards working with children is that I quit my office job to work with kids full-time. It was a difficult transition but it was a great decision. It validated that I do love working with kids. Now I'm even more excited to become a teacher!

Vocabulary:

Motivate- stimulate interest or enthusiasm for doing something

Impulsively- without forethought

Simultaneously- at the same time

Stressful- worrisome

Recent- not long past; happened not long ago

Transition- changing from one state or condition to another

Validated- supports the truth of something

Vocabulary Exercise:

Create your own sentences for each of the vocabulary words above.

1. 

2.

3.

4.
 
5. 

6.
 
7.

Grammar Point:

Contractions are shortened versions of words or group of words. Contractions usually omit certain letters or sounds from the words. In most contractions, the missing letters or sounds are replaced with an apostrophe. Some examples are: I am=I'm, I have=I've, They are=they're. You can read more about contractions at https://www.grammarly.com/blog/contractions/. 

Grammar Exercise:

1. Find two contractions in the paragraph above.

2. In the paragraph above, find a sentence that does not have a contraction but can use one.

3. Write three examples of contracted words in the uncontracted and contracted versions.


Photo Credit: https://www.roundsconsulting.com/2018/09/14/additional-discussion-of-k12-costs-bilingual-education-proposals/

Comments

  1. I like the contractions lesson, a challenging topic for ESL students because not all languages have such things.
    I am glad that you enjoy working with children. You are in the right field now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts