Quarantine Hobbies


The United States was hit hard with the COVID-19 Pandemic; especially in New York. Everyone was required to quarantine. This quarantine was supposed to last two weeks but it turned into multiple months. Having to stay at home for so long, I decided to come up with a few new hobbies. One of my hobbies was to read more books. I discovered I like books that are motivational and about self-improvement or traveling. Another hobby I tried was cooking and baking. I found recipes online, bought the ingredients, and cooked them at home. It seemed like everyone was making banana bread so I obviously had to give that a try! I also spent a lot of time with my puppy, Moonshine. I taught him a few cool tricks. He already knew how to sit, come, lay down and stay. But now he knows how to play dead, rollover and spin in a circle! Although it has been a long time stuck at home, I have enjoyed my time discovering some new hobbies. 


Vocabulary

Hit hard- to be affected by greatly

Required- mandatory or essential

Quarantine- to stay in isolation

Hobbies- activities done for pleasure

Recipes- instructions to cook a dish 

Ingredients- any food, substances, or components needed to make a dish

Tricks- a skillful act


Vocabulary Exercise:

1. Can you use the expression "hit hard" in a sentence?

_______________________________________________________________________________

2. What is something you are "required" to do? 

_______________________________________________________________________________

3. Which word best describes this sentence? "The girl had to stay home by herself for 14 days until she felt better so that no one else got sick."

_______________________________________________________________________________

4. What is the recipe for your favorite food? What ingredients are needed to make it?

_______________________________________________________________________________

5. Define "tricks." There is more than one definition.

_______________________________________________________________________________


Grammar Point:

Verbs are the action words in a sentence. A non-finite verb is a word that does not show any tense. You are only able to tell the tense of the sentence from the finite verb. For example, in the sentence "While driving the car, I crashed," the word "driving" is the non-finite verb. The word "crashed" is the finite verb that informs the reader this is past tense. Please feel free to read more at https://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/non-finite_verbs.htm


Grammar Exercises:

There are a few non-finite verbs used in the post above. Please write down one sentence from the post that utilizes non-finite verbs.


Create your own sentence using a non-finite verb. 


Please circle the non-finite verb and then underline the finite verb that determines the tense of the sentence.



 

Comments

  1. I really liked your entry, and I enjoyed learning about your new hobbies. I think many people were home baking because there was a shortage of flour in the store. I could only buy 2-lb bags once, and I could only get the sugar in 10-lb bags. I also liked that you tackled the topic of non-finite words, which we discuss in a future lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts